Wednesday, July 15, 2015

DIY Vegetable Stock [Vegan, Gluten-Free]

I was shocked to see the price and sodium content of vegetable broth at my local grocers ... to say nothing of the preservatives and non-biodegradable packaging. It only strengthened my resolve to make my own.

VEGETABLE STOCK/BROTH

There is no real recipe for this one. And, yes, those are onion skins you see in my slow cooker ... along with the tough ends of broccoli, cauliflower, onions (green and yellow), red bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, squash and carrots, as well as spinach stems and celery leaves. Basically anything that would have gone in my compost bin after prepping for a meal goes into a bag in my freezer. It usually takes me about a week to collect enough to fill my crockpot. At that point I dump everything into the pot, fill it with water, and let it simmer on low for 8 hours. I strain it and let it cool, then ladle it into muffin cups and pop it into the freezer. Once frozen, I can transfer it into small bags or one large bag and keep it frozen until I need it.

I don't usually put zucchini, pepper seeds, or kale into the pot since they tend to give the broth a rather bitter flavor ... although that might work well for sweet sour soup  and some Asian or Indian dishes.

You can add salt and pepper to taste if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment