Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cooking with Yam Noodles

Today my son was craving Fettuccine Alfredo, a creamy buttery dish that I often enjoyed with him. But alas, the rich sauce is laden with animal products (along with all the hormones and antibiotics) and unhealthy fats. So I made the next best thing.

SHIRATAKI PRIMAVERA



I'm still having a rough time finding the perfect vegan alfredo sauce. This time I used the recipe from Happy Herbivore. It was quick and easy. But in searching the web, I have found others that are soy-free and/or nutritional yeast-free that I will be trying.

1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1/4 lb sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
12 ounces soft silken tofu
1 cup soy milk
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 packages tofu shirataki noodles , cooked according to package instructions

Blend tofu with milk, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder and a light dash of cayenne pepper (optional, or alternatively, add a drop or two of hot sauce) until smooth and creamy. Set aside. Saute onion until softened, add garlic and cook until fragrant, add zucchini and mushrooms, cooking until slightly browned. Add flour and seasoning mix, toasting lightly. Pour in sauce, add nutritional yeast and stir well. Cook until fairly thick. Fold in prepared noodles, coating evenly and serve.

Note - Shirataki Noodles have a strong odor and a bit of an aftertaste. Be sure to rinse them well before and after cooking. They are best in dishes where they are completely covered with sauce

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a clever idea! I've been looking for recipes for shirataki noodles. I'll give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete