Thursday, September 5, 2013

Eating "Out" at Home - Vegetable Fajitas

Today's 21-Day Vegan Kickstart menu plan suggested going out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner tonight. I find that I can't always trust restaurants to not use chicken broth to prepare their rice or animal fats to prepare their beans so it's much safer to eat here at home where I know what goes into each dish. And with these vegetable fajitas, I don't miss the restaurant at all (well maybe the margaritas).

VEGETABLE FAJITAS


I started by making a tomato based marinade using one cup of tomato sauce and adding the following seasonings:
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons pasillas chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
Slice the following vegetables and marinate at least one hour:
1 onion
1 bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 zucchini
1/2 lb mushrooms (portobellos are best)
Saute in oiled pan until vegetables become somewhat limp and slightly browned. Serve with tortillas, garnished with avocado.

1 comment:

  1. Your vegetable fajitas look wonderful and way more hearty than what most restaurants can offer. As far as eating out goes and making sure stuff is vegan, I try to contact the restaurant in advance. Usually an email is the best way for me to get a response that I feel is thorough---b/c they can take the time to answer my questions and really find out about each dish. As opposed to just asking the server on the spot who may or may not know what they are talking about or take the time to ask the chef.

    ReplyDelete