Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I Must Be a Mushroom ...

... People keep me in the dark and feed me bu!!$hit. But I think if I was a Portobello or Chanterelle, it wouldn't bother me as much. Maybe that's a good lesson for me - to pretend that I'm a beautiful gourmet mushroom and use the bad behavior of others to my own benefit.

Meanwhile, all this talk about mushrooms has me craving fajitas again. So I'm borrowing Nery's photo of this wonderful dish to share with you. She's been on the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart with me and has lost weight, feels lots healthier, and looks great! Now that she's experienced so many flavorful vegan dishes, she says that she can't imagine going back to her old way of cooking!

PORTOBELLO FAJITAS


1/2 onion, thinly sliced
Splash of water (about 3 tablespoons)
2 large portobello caps, thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 large roasted red pepper, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Corn or whole wheat flour tortillas
Salsa or lime wedges

Over medium-high heat, sauté the onion until it turns a rich, dark, brown color. Add a splash of water and quickly stir. The liquid will evaporate in just a few seconds. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the portobellos and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms glisten and lose their raw, whitish look. Add the cumin and chili powder; sauté for 15 to 30 more seconds. Remove the pan from the heat. Immediately add the roasted red peppers and cilantro. Serve with tortillas as well as salsa or lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment