Friday, September 6, 2013

Faux BBQ

Perhaps it's the warm Indian Summer or the lingering memory of Labor Day grill fests, but I'm craving something slathered in BBQ sauce. Fortunately, I had a box of VEGGIE RIBS in the pantry so I didn't have to start from scratch. It's the first time I've used this mix and while it wasn't bad in a pinch, I'll probably make my own savory seitan to do the job next time.


The MACARONI SALAD was from scratch though. I used a simple recipe, my son's favorite (he doesn't like it when I go gourmet on him, adding kalamatas, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, etc.) so I just prepared a pound of  noodles according to package directions, drained and rinsed, then let them cool. I added about half a cup of vegannaise, a couple tablespoons of sweet relish, a couple tablespoons of dijon mustard, salt and pepper.


The trick to an "eggy" flavor is using black sea salt. I bought mine at Savory Spice Shop in Santa Rosa.



No comments:

Post a Comment